Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dont Judge a Book By Its Cover




This really bugs me. A lot of folks tend to make opinions about people, things, and places by pure sight and looks alone. But how much do you actually miss out on when you do so? A lot of generalizations start when someone looks at another person, or place, or thing and automatically makes assumptions. For example, there is a "hole in the wall" restaurant that I never would try because..well..it looked like crap. But when a friend actually told me to go there and I did, it was one of the best places ive ever eaten!




As far as things, I am one of those folks who likes to purchase the "off brand" or cheaper brand of items such as Good Value foods, or Equate products/meds, and I even like shopping on eBay and thrift stores and most of the time the cheaper product has the SAME value. Our Vizio flatscreen is just as durable as our Sony in the living room. No difference.




Now onto judging people..how many of you have made a generalization based on something you didnt like about somebody? I think we're all guilty of that! (haha) but what about the way a person looks. Just because they may not dress as fine as another person does not mean they are poor. Personally if I could wear shorts or sweatpants everyday for the rest of my life i probably would do so. What about physical self expression such as un natural haircolor or piercings or tattoos? Most people think of Goths or bikers or "bad people" when they think of those ways of self expression, but I have tattoos, I have dyed my hair strange colors, I have had piercings, does that make me trashy or bad? No. It doesnt make anyone that way.




Now i dont really understand the racial sterotypes, but lets use my ethnicity as an example because i find it amusing:


-People often refer to ALL asians as "Chinese"


-we are also called "oriental"


-we are known as bad drivers which is true to some extent (haha)


-we are known to all work in nail shops


-we are all known to have some kind of accent


I am partly Korean and I can tell ya that most racial stereotypes arent true lol.




Needless to say, get to know someone, someplace, or something before you let their appearance fool you!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hunny, I gotta say I know the feeling. I hate this kind of close minded attitude that people tend to have. I think the people who actually have tattoos, dye their hair, and wear things "outside of the box" are the people are open minded... Sooo, props to US! We know what we're doing ha. anyway, don't let anyone bring you down, along with being open minded we have to understand that some people are stuck in a rut that they refuse to venture out of. So don't let anyone bring you down and don't you worry your sweet little self about being anything other than a beautiful child of God, cause that's exactly what we ALL are! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girlie you always have the sweetest things to say!! Thats why your the bestest friend ive ever had!! i love you!!

    ReplyDelete